Last Updated on September 10, 2021
Week 1 in the NFL is finally here, which means the “Blazing 5” returns to the airwaves as Colin Cowherd makes his weekly picks. Each and every week on “The Herd”, Cowherd talks about his five favorite betting picks for the NFL slate and provides why. At ActionRush, we have tracked his betting record over the last few seasons.
Let’s take a look at Cowherd’s betting picks for Week 1, his first of the weekly “Blazing 5” segments. Below, you will find each of Cowherd’s picks for both the NFL and CFB as they are updated. In addition, Cowherd has sound analysis with various stats on each game that is provided as well.
Colin Cowherd’s NFL Picks This Week
Each week on “The Herd” podcast, Colin Cowherd provides his “Blazing 5”. This is five NFL games with Cowherd’s picks against the spread. Here are his picks for Week 1.
- Steelers +6.5 vs. Bills
- Panthers -4.5 vs. Jets
- Lions +7.5 vs. 49ers
- Washington Pick’Em vs. Chargers
- Chiefs -5.5 vs. Browns
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) September 10, 2021
All odds for Cowherd’s NFL picks this season are courtesy of FOXBet Sportsbook.
Each week, Colin Cowherd goes through his eight games he wants to bet…then filters them into five picks for his Week 1 “Blazing 5”. On his Volume Sports podcast, he talked about these potential games:
- Jets vs. Panthers
- Bills vs. Steelers
- Falcons vs. Eagles
- Seahawks vs. Colts
- Chargers vs. Football Team
- Browns vs. Chiefs
- 49ers vs. Lions
New @TheVolumeSports Podcast
Here we go.
Every week, I’ll give @chadmillman my NFL picks and he’ll tell me what I’ve got right and wrong… well, in his opinion.
-Why Browns-Chiefs is a “no-brainer”
-Why he loves my Niners-Lions pick
— Colin Cowherd (@ColinCowherd) September 10, 2021
Cowherd’s betting analysis for Week 1
Now, let’s take a look at Cowherd’s analysis for each of his Blazing 5 picks for Week 1 in the NFL. He provides his pick against the spread, and secondly provides his reasoning behind each pick. Without further ado, Cowherd’s analysis for his Blazing 5.
Pittsburgh Steelers +6.5 vs. Buffalo Bills
- Bills defense third worst red zone defense in the NFL.
- Steelers offensive line is in transition, but Bills defensive line is their weak point.
- Steelers are back.
Carolina Panthers -4.5 vs. New York Jets
- Jets strength is their front seven, but they are all hurt.
- Panthers now hate the upper hand, with the Jets’ being led by a rookie.
- Panthers win by a TD, 27-20.
Detroit Lions +7.5 vs. San Francisco 49ers
- Cowherd defends Jared Goff, saying that he is underrated.
- The Lions have a top RB in D’Andre Swift.
- Detroit’s strength is in the trenches.
- Niners win 26-24.
Washington Football Team -0.5 vs. Los Angeles Chargers
- First real crowd Justin Herbert has played.
- Chargers offensive line is new, hasn’t played together yet.
- West coast teams are traveling.
- 1-12-1 for first year, first week coaches.
- Washington 27-21.
Chiefs -5.5 vs. Cleveland Browns
- Andy Reid is the best Week 1 coach in the NFL.
- They have won six straight openers.
- Cleveland was -11 in point differential against good teams in 2020.
- Cowherd thinks the Browns are not there yet, but will be by Thanksgiving.
- 34-26 Chiefs.
— FOX Bet Sportsbook (@FOXBet) September 10, 2021
2020 Blazing Five Record – Cowherd Betting History
Last year wasn’t a great one for Cowherd, as he was under .500 in both the regular season and postseason in 2020-2021. The Blazing Five betting record for last year:
- 40-41-2 in regular season
- 2-5-1 in the playoffs
- 0-1 for the Super Bowl
In 2019-2020, Cowherd was 42-41-3 in the regular season and 4-5 in the postseason. Cowherd (and bettors) are hoping he has a better performance in 2021-2022.
Cowherd’s CFB Picks This Week
Cowherd has started to pick college football games this season, and we will keep you updated on these as they come in. For Week 1’s “Saturday Spreads” promotion that Cowherd does for FanDuel, he took Alabama, Louisiana, and UCLA. It was a solid week for Cowherd’s first of CFB bets. For Week 2, he has Ohio State, Iowa, and Texas. Here are Cowherd’s CFB picks.
🌰 Ohio State -13.5
🦅 Iowa +3.5
🤘 Texas -5.5@ColinCowherd is back for Week 2 of his Saturday Spreads contest — sign up today at https://t.co/UDjZgsvirJ for your chance to win $5k in weekly prizes! pic.twitter.com/eBquzt2heF
— The Volume (@TheVolumeSports) September 10, 2021
- Betting Odds On The 2024 Republican Presidential Nominee – Trump Leads - March 30, 2022
- 2022 NFL Draft #1 Pick Odds – Who goes first? - March 18, 2022
- Barstool Sportsbook Opens Betting on NCAA Tournament Seeding - March 5, 2022