The NFL offseason is gone in a flash, as the first preseason game takes place on August 5th, 2021. Football season is here, which means betting on football games is back. With the Cowboys and Steelers taking the field for the first NFL game of the season (albeit preseason), the odds are available for NFL bettors.
Let’s take a look at the odds, betting trends, and picks for the first NFL game of the 2021 season – the Hall of Fame Game between the Steelers and Cowboys. Below is a look at the latest odds, some betting trends on the game, odds for both the Steelers and Cowboys, and more.
Cowboys – Steelers HOF Game Line
HOF Game Opening Odds
Here were the opening odds for the Hall of Fame game in the NFL preseason.
|Dallas Cowboys||+1.5||o34 (-111)||+100|
|Pittsburgh Steelers||-1.5||u34 (-109)||-120|
The odds vary at different sportsbooks, so you can be sure to shop for the best odds. For example on the moneyline, you could have goptten the Steelers at -115 at PointsBet, and under 34 at -105 at PointsBet as well. The odds are quite close for all three markets, but getting the best odds is how you can become a more profitable bettor long term.
The spread on this game is just one point, but it is expected to be a toss up as many players that will not make NFL teams are set to play the majority of the snaps.
- Cowboys +1
- Cowboys ML (+115)
- Over 33 (+100)
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) August 4, 2021
Depth Charts for Steelers and Cowboys – Hall of Fame Game
With this being a preseason game, different quarterbacks are set to play for both teams. Here is a look at the depth charts for both teams at QB.
Cowboys QB Depth Chart
- Dak Prescott (will not play)
- Cooper Rush
- Garrett Gilbert
- Ben DiNucci
Steelers QB Depth Chart
- Ben Roethlisberger (not expected to play)
- Mason Rudolph
- Dwayne Haskins
- Josh Dobbs
Betting Trends for the Hall of Fame Game
There is quite a lot of information available on the Hall of Fame Game that gives you a chance for an edge when betting on the event. Here are some trends to keep an eye on.
- Dating back to 2009, only one game has gone over 40 total points.
- Game totals since 2009: 39, 23, 27, 44, 30, 17, 38, 33, 24.
- The total for this game opened up at 50-ish points, before books closed it and re-opened at 34…there is a heavy number on the under 50.
- First Hall-of-Fame game since 2019, due to COVID-19 protocols.
- Steelers are 3-3 all-time in HOF games.
- Cowboys are 3-3 all-time in HOF games.
— Pro Football Hall of Fame (@ProFootballHOF) July 22, 2021
Public Betting Info for Steelers vs. Cowboys – Hall of Fame Game 2021
With the first NFL game of the season taking place this week, bettors are already looking to take advantage of a long football layoff and bet on a preseason game. We have some public betting information from BetMGM for the Hall of Fame game, thanks to this tweet.
NFL Hall of Fame game line movement (@BetMGM)
Steelers opened -1, now -1.5 vs. Cowboys
• 71% of tickets, 83% of handle on Steelers
Total opened 34, now 33
• 50% of tickets, 75% of handle on under
— John Ewing 🦁 (@johnewing) August 2, 2021
As you can see, the majority of bettors are wagering on the Steelers and the under. Given the number of unders in recent years, that is not surprising. With the uncertainty of preseason games, 83% of the money on Pittsburgh is interesting, however.
Steelers & Cowboys 2021 Odds
While the Cowboys and Steelers play in the first “official” game of the year, there are many ways to bet on both teams at various legal sportsbooks. Both these teams are quite popular for NFL bettors, as they are either very popular amongst NFL fans or located in a legal betting state (Steelers). This allows for some of the lines to fluctuate more often with a large number of fans wagering on (or against) their favorite teams.
Here is a look at some betting markets for both teams.
Steelers Betting Odds
- To Win Super Bowl (+4000)
- NFL Win Totals (8.5)
- To Make or Miss Playoffs (+140 to make)
- Betting futures
- Player futures
- Week 1 Odds (vs. Bills)
- and more
Cowboys Betting Odds
- To Win Super Bowl (+3000)
- Win Totals (9)
- To Make or Miss Playoffs (-140 to make)
- Dak to win NFL MVP (+1200)
- Week 1 Odds (vs. Bucs)
- and more!
- Colin Cowherd Blazing Five NFL Picks – Week 3 2021 - September 24, 2021
- Scott Van Pelt Picks This Week – College Football Week 4 - September 24, 2021
- Betting Odds On The 2024 Republican Presidential Nominee – Trump Again? - September 21, 2021